Calendar of Deadlines in the History of Cartography
(for fellowship and prize applications, submission of paper proposals
for meetings, or special issues of journals)
[Note. Most of the fellowship and prize deadlines recur annually[marked with *]
and those will therefore be left on this page after the date has passed. Be aware that the date may change from one
year to the next, andshould always be checked. Where institutions have not yet updated their site, the previous
year's deadline is left, followed by a question-mark. Otherwise, the date is followed by
[C] indicating that the next deadline has been confirmed and noted or
[P] for permanently fixed dates
Not surprisingly, a number of awards were put on hold during the pandemic and the relevant pages frozen.
In the hope that they will be revived, those entries have been left in.
April 15 [Deadline for abstracts]. 'Mapping “Post-Conflict” Cities' [Themes include 'methodologies employed to create, develop,
communicate and analyse maps of damaged cities, with a particular interest in digital humanities methods']. (Erkner,
Germany, 19-21 October 2022).
* June 1 ['We expect to announce new information about our applications for the 2022-23 grant cycle in the near
future. For more information, you can also contact the Travel to Collections Grant Committee at lib-
firstname.lastname@example.org.']. Travel to
Collections Grant (Department of Special and Area Studies Collection at the George A. Smathers Libraries,
University of Florida, Gainesville, for research in the collections (including the Map & Imagery Library))
* July 18 [C - extended from 28 June]. Ian Mumford Award (British Cartographic Society), for university and college
students where cartography, maps or mapping forms the principal subject of research
* August 15. [C - 'Applications for 2022-23 will open August 15' ]; the deadline is November 1.
Long-term Fellowships (Newberry Library)
* September 24 [The deadline to apply for a 2021-2022 Cullman Center Fellowship has passed; that for the
2022-2023 Fellowship is 24 September 2021].
Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center for Scholars and Writers (fellowship for work on the collections of the New
York Public Library, Humanities and Social Sciences Library - of which the The Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map
Division forms a part)
* September 30 ["Suspended due to Lilly Library renovation"]. Mendel Fellowship
(a visiting fellowship mentioning specifically 'geography, navigation and cartography'; also the Everett Helm Visiting
Fellowships - Lilly Library, Indiana University Libraries, Bloomington)
October 31 [Application deadline] Symposium VI
of the International Society for the History of the Map (ISHMap), for advanced students, junior researchers and
early career professionals (Montevideo, Uruguay, 12-13 May 2022).
* December 1 ["Applications for the academic year 2021-2022 have been suspended until further notice"]. Bodleian Visiting Fellowships (short-term Visiting
Fellowships for researchers who will benefit from an uninterrupted period of research in the
Special Collections of the Bodleian Libraries)