Calendar of Deadlines in the History of Cartography
(for fellowship and prize applications, submission of paper proposals
for meetings, or special issues of journals)
[Note. Most of the fellowship and prize deadlines recur annually[marked with *]
and those will therefore be left on this page after the date has passed. Be aware that the date may change from one
year to the next, andshould always be checked. Where institutions have not yet updated their site, the previous
year's deadline is left, followed by a question-mark. Otherwise, the date is followed by
[C] indicating that the next deadline has been confirmed and noted or
[P] for permanently fixed dates
April 30 [Call for Papers deadline]. The Cartographic Journal is to have a special winter issue
to mark 100 years of Soviet mapping. For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org,
email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
* June 1 [Date when information might be available]. Travel to Collections
Grant (Department of Special and Area Studies Collection at the George A. Smathers Libraries, University of
Florida, Gainesville, for research in the collections (including the Map & Imagery Library))
August 13 [Call for Papers deadline]. Virtual annual conference: Western Association of Map Libraries (October 26-29, 2021). The
potential presentation topics include 'Historical maps and cartography'.
* September 15 [Due to the Corona situation there will be no invitations to tender for the fellowship programs
until further notice].
Augustin Hirschvogel Fellowship (Leibniz Institute for East and Southeast European Studies, Regensburg)
* September 24 [The deadline to apply for a 2021-2022 Cullman Center Fellowship has passed; that for the
2022-2023 Fellowship is 24 September 2021].
Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center for Scholars and Writers (fellowship for work on the collections of the New
York Public Library, Humanities and Social Sciences Library - of which the The Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map
Division forms a part)
* September 30 ["Due to the planned renovation of the Lilly Library, fellowship applications are not being solicited
for 2020 and 2021"]. Mendel Fellowship
(a visiting fellowship mentioning specifically 'geography, navigation and cartography'; also the Everett Helm Visiting
Fellowships - Lilly Library, Indiana University Libraries, Bloomington)
October 31 [Application deadline] Workshop
of the International Society for the History of the Map (ISHMap), for advanced students, junior researchers and
early career professionals (Montevideo, Uruguay, 10-11 May 2022).
* November 1. [C - 'Applications for 2022-23 will open August 15' ; the deadline is November 1. Long-term Fellowships (Newberry Library)
* December 1 ["Applications for the academic year 2021-2022 have been suspended until further notice"]. Bodleian Visiting Fellowships
(short-term Visiting Fellowships for researchers who will benefit from an uninterrupted period of research in the
Special Collections of the Bodleian Libraries)
* December 15 ['Due to the uncertainty of travel through summer 2021, we are not taking applications for fellowships for next year (2021).
Please check back in Fall 2021 for updates on fellowship information for 2022']. American
Geographical Society Library Fellowships (University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries)